We struggle at our house to get a roast cooked to the liking of both my BB Guy and myself.
He likes it rare. Really rare. Me? I don't mind it pink but the texture has to have changed to cooked. Not the slimy rare that he will eat .
What to do, what to do?
I have found the answer to this dilemma.
- Preheat your oven to 500 degrees
- Make sure your roast is at room temperature all the way through.
- You can rub the outside with your favorite spices or just salt and pepper. I used Montreal Steak Spice but I find it too salty.
- Place your roast in a pan and put it in the hot, hot oven and cook for 5 minutes per pound.
- Ours was a 5 lb. roast so it cooked at 500 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Shut the oven off and DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR FOR 2 HOURS. No peeking. Nope. Not even a quick look. Nothing. Nada.
- Take it out of the oven after the 2 hours and let it rest covered for 10 minutes while you make the gravy.
- Slice it up.
This roast was so tender and was cooked perfectly for both of us. It was rare enough for my BB Guy and it the texture had changed enough for me to enjoy it. The only down side is that it wasn't terribly hot at serving but hey, that is what gravy is for right! I highly recommend this method of cooking a roast.