We all like to pamper our pets and treat them as family members but did you know there are many things they should not have.
- Chocolate is the obvious one that we probably all know about. It stimulates the nervous system and the heart. It is poisonous to all animals but because dogs are more likely to eat it that is when we hear about it.
- Grapes and raisins will damage the kidneys of dogs and cats.
- Garlic and onions cause anemia by damaging the red blood cells of cats and dogs.
- Sugarless gum (Xylitol) results in low blood sugar due to increased insulin secretions in dogs.
- Alcohol will depress the nervous system in all species and can cause vomiting, lethargy, tremors, comas and seizures to name a few.
- Bread dough or raw yeast forms gas in the digestive track. Fermenting yeast causes alcohol poisoning.
- Macadamia nuts will cause muscle and nervous system problems in dogs.
- Avocados contain something called persin which will damage the heart muscle in animals, especially birds.
Of course there are many other toxins in the house and garage but we are usually very careful with those. It is these seemingly harmless foods are not on our radar.
This post is in honour of our beloved Maxine who lived a long, safe and healthy life.