This year Christmas was different. I was not cooking dinner. My sisters and my friends were not cooking dinner….well not for us anyways…
This year my eldest son cooked Christmas dinner. He came up with a menu, just slightly off of the traditional path that our family dinners have always taken.
He prepped things ahead of time and although he took on quite a menu he had it all ready to go on time without a single problem.
This is something completely new. He is not a regular cook. He does love good food though and he scoured recipes for things that sounded good that were also doable.
He prepared this meal with a minimum of equipment. He borrowed several items from me such as my toaster over, a slow cooker, immersion blender, platter and a tablecloth. I also would have brought a few other things had I know what else he was missing. (good gift ideas for another time)
Here is our menu:
- Butternut Squash & Apple Soup
- Gingerale Glazed Carrots
- Creamed Corn with Red Peppers and Bacon (made from scratch not canned)
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Chipotles in Adobo Sauce
- Mashed potatoes with Garlic Cream and Parmesan
- Cornbread Stuffing
- Roast Turkey stuffed with Oranges, Lemons, Onions, Rosemary, Sage and Oregano
- Tourtiere (French Canadian Meat Pie..Traditional Christmas dish)
Everything was absolutely delicious. I was so impressed. I think he was a bit surprised as to how much work all of this was going to be but he pulled off this dinner for 7
I felt kinda bad leaving him with a huge mess to clean up but his garburator backed up and we couldn’t do the dishes after dinner.
This may be our new family tradition … or not…depending on how long his memory is of all the work he had to do.